Saturday, February 11, 2012

Our First Navy Social Outing

Today one of the guys from my bf's work crew invited us out to lunch and a movie. We met at PF Chang's for lunch and there were 9 of us total. 2 other girls besides myself. One was a wife and the other a new date to one of the guys and local. Which could be really cool if they stay hanging out, because she knows where stuff is. Got to talk to everybody a lot during lunch and get all the first names, which I don't remember. First names is something we kinda started in Chicago, it just feels more personal and the guys seem to appreciate it. Learned where everyone is from and what they did before the Navy. There are always so many interesting backgrounds in the Navy, something I really like about it. The married couple is from the LA area, but she is originally from San Antonio, also cool, because she knows a lot about San Antonio, which is only about an hour and a half away. The guy who invited us is also from California, from Orange County, so I'll probably refer to him as OC since he seems to be the social ringleader of the group with quite an entertaining personality and will probably be appearing in here from time to time. He smuggled chocolate cake from the restaurant into the movie, and even brought a fork. His roommate is actually from Washington, like us, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him as much. I can't remember where the guy who brought the date was from but I do remember he worked construction before the Navy because him and my sailor have that in common. And of course, the only member of our previous Navy family who transferred here with us was there. He's from Annapolis, Maryland and I have yet to get a nickname for him, because Annapolis is kind of long and doesn't really work as a name. I'll have to work on that. Everyone else has been here for a while, at least 6 months, which is a long time in Navy time, or a year or two. We're kind of the new kids. At the end of the day OC invited us back to Kingsville, we're the only ones that live in Corpus. They were all going back to their place to hang out and play games. It almost sounded like our usual back in Pcola, they even had Catch Phrase. But, we opted to stay home. I like everybody, but I miss my old friends, it all feels so different. It's gonna take some getting used to, but it was a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment